The Grinding Systems Services of the Higgins Grinding Technology Center, Saint Gobain Abrasives, Worcester MA, USA, has been established as a service to grinding process end-users as well as machine tool companies, coolant suppliers and other related industries. Our objective is to help optimize all aspects of the grinding process. Using a robust and proven technical approach, GSS will design efficient grinding systems, optimize coolant application, operational parameters, advise on machine acquisition, and provide evaluation of the system on an economic basis. The end result is to achieve a step change in cost, quality and productivity required by every manufacturer to meet their competitive challenges in the Global Economy.
Dedicated and Unparalleled Resources
The GSS is made available to you though a group of talented and highly specialized technical resources; the GSS is headed by Dr. John Webster, a renowned expert in Grinding and Coolant Applications Technology. The GSS staff is backed by the HGTC staff and Saint Gobain Abrasives worldwide resources, i.e.: application, research, manufacturing and field sales engineers. We also utilize strategic alliances with machine tool builders, coolant suppliers, fabrication resources and others as required.
“The ability to achieve the desired economic output may be limited by any or all of the following inputs of the grinding system: machine tool, abrasive, material or operational factors. By using a systematic problem solving approach GSS can provide customers with optimum solutions at low cost and low risk.”
Higgins Grinding Technology Center
Wide Variety of Testing and Simulation Equipment
The GSS is fully supported by the equipment and facilities of the HGTC. These include: equipment for simulation and testing studies on a wide variety of equipment used in industries ranging from electronics, bearing, steel, aerospace and more.
Systematic Procedure for Producing Results
- GSS personnel work with the customer to define the problem.
- The problem is further studied to identify the customer's strategic needs and specific next steps to achieve them.
- A proposal outlining the procedures and tasks to be performed by GSS personnel is presented to the customer along with cost.
- The customer approves proposal and the confidentiality is agreed upon.
- Project is carried out with active customer interaction.
Markets and Applications of Completed Projects
- Aerospace - Creep Feed Grinding
- Automotive – superfinishing of bearing races
- Electronic – back grinding and slicing
- Medical – Needle and blade grinding
- Machine tool - Air bearing spindle grinding
- Industrial ceramics – Igniter grinding
Find Out More
Contact your local distributor or Norton sales representative to find out more about using Norton Grinding System Services!